Saturday 28 May 2011

I've been reminiscing......

....about the 'olden days'.  'How did this come about, Madam Noir?',  I hear you cry.  Well, I decided upon a sojourn to Newcastle to meet Madam Parisienne and, on route, stumbled upon an old, tattered double CD in a nameless box.  Imagine my surprise when, upon removing the CD, I discovered a second one buried 'neath it!  What was it?  Only 'The Best Rave Anthems In the World'!  A mighty collection of early 90's dancey-style 'classics'.  Standout choons were:
  • 'Don't You Want Me' - Felix
  • 'LSI' - The Shamen
  • 'Seven Ways to Love' - Cola Boy (thankfully, not a paean to bum/mouth sex - can't actually think of the other '5' - any ideas?)
  • 'Insanity' - Oceanic
These 'classics' reminded me of fond nights at local den of iniquity, 'The Blue Monkey' (RIP).  Ah, it was a skanky hole, make no mistake.  Drugs aplenty. Although I did not indulge - the hardest thing I have ever ingested being a dihydrocodeine for a bad back last year - when I developed a 'middle-class injury' (trademark, Miss Underscore) whilst bending down to pick up empty red wine bottles to put in the recycling bin.  

I used to go to the Blue Monkey on a Thursday and Saturday evening to dance maniacally with my buddy, Alison.  My, we were a sexy pair - 8-hole Doc Marten boots, black skirts, love beads and woolly cardies (purchased from the grandad's section at Marksies, naturellement).  Is it any wonder that I ddn't have a boyfriend until I was 18? By God, I was exotic in those days - I used to drink Cointreau.  Yes.  Fucking Cointreau.  How gay is that???

We both loved our music, but we were never really a hit with the boys.  Perhaps, looking back, I was never meant to be that conventional.  My friend is still married to the first bloke she slept with and I have immersed my foot (amongst other things) in deeper waters.  I recall the first lad that I kissed was called Ben and this was at legendary indie skank-pit - Ku Club.  The sort of place where you never really hung around in the same spot for too long for fear of the carpet coming with you as you moved.  I only 'went with him' (bleurghh!) as my friend, Rachel had copped off with his mate.  It was the least I could do! In fact, I was never too sure whether the toilets actually worked, as there was always a watery trail as soon as you stepped into the ladies.  May as well have pissed on the floor (and I'm sure that some did).

Went past Ku Club the other day on a very rare visit to the city centre.  I noticed that it is no longer a club.  Sad.   

No comments:

Post a Comment